You might not know some of the words so you will find their meaning and a picture at the glossary at the end of the story.
A flash of white. Chicken I thought. Then brown Cow I thought. Then my brain made a simple equation; Cow + Iron Sword = Leather. I needed leather badly so I turned around and sprinted to the cow, killing it and receiving two leather and three raw beef.
“Yes!” I complimented myself, “Now I can make an enchanting table so I can go to…” My voice trailed off. No need to think about that now! I checked my compass , hoping Notch programmed it correctly. Nothing seemed familiar! Don’t worry, I told myself, this is only the second time I am returning from the valley and ravine region. I suddenly saw the welcoming glow of torches in the distance.
“I’M HOME!!” I cried happily, sprinting across the forest floor and charging into the lake to get to my house on the other side. I ran past the animal pen and dashed into my cave home, safely depositing three stacks of iron ore, twenty-five gold ore and sixteen lapis lazuli into a chest.
“Good,” I commented, “but now I must make a very important decision…” I reached into my chest again and selected a diamond pickaxe.
“So, will I go or not?” I pondered. Having a diamond pickaxe meant having an opportunity to go to the Nether. Then, I made the big, but dangerous, decision. I would build a portal and venture into the other dimension. Before I could do this I had to acquire some obsidian. That would be easy since I knew where to find some. I set off to the cave system near my home. I ran down the mining stairway I had made, jumping down when it was safe. I ignored the Redstone torches leading to the second ravine and turned right, towards the lava pools. I mined ten obsidian blocks with my diamond pickaxe and slowly made my way up to the surface. Once I was in my cave home, I decided to make a chest of necessary items for the Nether. Inside I added two stacks of stone, iron armor, my iron sword, an iron pickaxe and (with hesitation) my diamond pickaxe. Now I was prepared to go.
With my iron sword in hand, I took a deep breath and stepped through the portal. While LOADING TERRAIN was written on the screen in big bold letters, I wondered whether this was a good idea. The Nether was dangerous and I could die in a matter of moments! No! I told myself fiercely This was the right decision and now way am I going to die!
Finally, the game screen turned black and then came back to normal The ‘pleasant’ sight of the Nether greeted me. Hoards of Zombie Pigmen were everywhere, I could see lava cascading down the hills of gravel, glowstone and netherrack. Then I heard a wail. Oh, great, I thought just what I need now. I quickly took a step to the side as a ghast fireball whizzed past my screen, narrowly missing me.
I dashed out and made a stone barrier around me. I waited. And waited. And waited. Then I peeked over the edge. Was it safe? NO! Two more fireballs flew past. The first one missed me but the next sphere smashed into my wall; BOOM! I took several hearts of damage so I sprinted away from the ghast as fast as I could. Finally, I was safe. Now I was able to do the main thing I came here for: mining. I selected my diamond pickaxe and got to work getting plenty of netherrack, glowstone and nether quartz.
I could have left when I finished , but I chose not to. I wanted to kill some of the mobs since they had some useful drops. I advanced on the nearest gang of Zombie Pigmen and raised my sword. Then I hit one. They all grunted and charged at me. In response, I started madly swinging my sword until they were all gone. Then I had a cunning idea…
I grabbed two blocks of stone and stacked them up so I was two blocks in the air. I took my bow and fired an arrow at a Zombie Pigman that was too far to hit with a sword. The Pigmen nearest to me charged and swung at me from underneath my pillar. I struck back. Ha I thought they’ll never get me from up here! But I was wrong. With one lucky hit from the Pigmen, I found myself running across the Nether’s red terrain trying frantically to escape. Then the worst possible thing happened: I fell into a hole. Silly hole! I thought
The Pigmen streamed in after me in an angry mob swinging their gold swords. I dealt as much damage as I could, but that wasn’t enough. Eventually my last health points were gone and it was Game Over.
“Noooo! Why did that happen?!” I cried. I grabbed a sword and leapt back into the Nether Portal to reclaim my items. Once the last Zombie Pigmen had died I took back whatever items I could and decided to collect one more stack of Netherrack and then head back home. Once that task was done, I headed towards my portal and stepped through. Finally the game loaded and I ran to my bed and slept. The next day I smelted the Netherrack. But I decided that I was ‘Nether’ going to the Nether again!
- Leather: Leather is an item obtained by killing cows.
- Enchantment Table: An enchantment table is a block that allows players to spend their experience point levels to enchant tools, books and armor.
- Notch: Markus Alexej Persson, more commonly known as Notch, is the creator of Minecraft and the owner of Mojang.
- Nether: The Nether is a hell-like dimension in Minecraft.
- Nether Portal: A Nether Portal is a structure which acts as a gateway between the Overworld and Nether. It is built as a frame of obsidian (4×5 blocks), which you ignite with flint and steel to activate it. The four corners of the frame are not required, but portals created by the game will always include them.
- Obsidian: Obsidian is a deep purple and black block known for its blast resistance and strength. It is used to make Nether Portals.
- Gravel: Gravel is a common type of block that is affected by gravity.
- Glowstone: Glowstone is a light-emitting blocks that appears in the Nether.
- Netherrack: Netherrack is a rock-like block that makes up most of the Nether’s terrain.
Zombie Pigmen: Zombie Pigmen are neutral mobs that live in the Nether.
- Ghast: Ghasts are huge, floating squid-like Nether mobs that shoot explosive fireballs at players.
- Fireball: Ghasts launch fireballs at players. They create an explosion when they come in contact with blocks and mobs and deal many hearts of damage.
- Nether Quartz: Nether Quartz Ore is the only ore available in the Nether and the only way to obtain quartz.
- Nether Fortress: Nether Fortresses are structures that are naturally generated in the Nether. They are bridge structures constructed of Nether Bricks, Nether Brick Fences, and Nether Brick Stairs.